My studio desk doesn’t have too many fancy features, but I don’t really need them.
My ideal setup has plenty of desk space for the essentials: studio monitors, soundcard, mixer, midi controller, mic, and some cool RGB lighting (of course).
This setup leaves me with desktop space for any other toys I may want to play with that day, without filling up my room with clutter.
Not to mention is looks beautiful, and only costs about $300 USD.
This is a fairly common setup for PC Gamers, and similar setups can be found all over reddit r/battlestations. I got a lot of great tips and inspiration from those guys, so I highly recommend checking them out.
- KARLBY Countertop 74″ – ($189 USD)
- ALEX Drawer – ($89 USD)
- ADILS Table Legs x3 – ($12 USD)
- SIGNUM Cable Management Tray x2 ($30 USD)
- VIVO Dual Monitor Desk Mount
Full List of my setup at the bottom of this article.
- Power Drill
- Measuring Tape
The bare bones of the project is essentially 3 table legs to support one side and the center of the desktop. While the right side is supported by an ALEX drawer.
The legs and drawer height are exactly the same (27.5″) so no adjustments are required.
- Using a drill, screw in 2 ADILS legs to one side of the KARLBY desktop (back and front).
- Find the center of the your table (about 37″ if you got the 74″ KARLBY), attach the remaining ADILS table leg towards the back of the KARLBY desktop, while centered length-wise.
- The ALEX Drawer comes with sticky Plastic Bumpers to protect the surface. Place these on the top surface of the drawer unit where the desktop will be placed.
- With some help – carefully lift the desktop (with the legs attached), and rest it gently on top the drawer. Line up the edges of the desk to the edges of the drawer.
About Your Cable management
We all know that computer and audio cables quickly become a nightmare.
And if you don’t want to create a bird nest of wires under your desk I highly recommend some cable management solutions.
While you’re at IKEA, snag yourself some SIGNUM cable management trays, and screw them underneath your desk. This will keep all your cables off the floor and out of the sight.
Another solution is to mount Power Strips/Bars underneath your desk or behind your drawers. Again, this keep those cables neat and tidy and out of sight. See more cable management solutions here.
The KARLBY IKEA desktop is essentially a butcher block countertop, and therefore requires care so it doesn’t dry out and crack. I highly recommend you apply mineral oil regularly.
Stay off the wall
Do not place your studio desk right up against a wall or in a corner.
The sound from your monitors may bounce off nearby surfaces and cause phase cancellation or frequency build up. Which will make it difficult to accurately mix/master your music.
The ideal position for your speakers is about 1/3 the entire length of your room. But if that’s not possible at least give yourself 12 to 24 inches of space from the wall.
Speakers Directly on the Desk?
On the same note of building a proper listening environment – if you place your speakers directly on your desk, I highly recommend some sort of sound isolation pads. Otherwise get yourself some speaker stands to place behind your desk.
Monitor Mounts = More Deskspace and Better Posture
A computer monitor mount can free you from a crowded desk. But it can also help with proper posture while sitting as your desk, as you can properly adjust it to the proper height and distance. Just make sure your current display monitor(s) are VESA mount compatible.
What about all the rest of my stuff? Here’s a full list of everything you see in the pictures, just in case you felt inspired by what you saw.
- Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitors
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones
- Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
- Behringer Xenyx 802 Mixer
- Auralex MoPAD Speaker Isolation Pads
- Audio Technica AT2020 Condenser Microphone
- On-Stage Microphone Stand
- AKAI MPK Mini Midi Controller
- Acer Predator 24″ 144hz Monitor
- Ryzen 3600
- 16GB Ram
- Geforce 1070TI
- Corsair RGB K55
- Steelcase Leap Chair
- VIVO Dual Monitor Desk Mount
- Custom Made Acoustic Panels / Bass Traps
- RGB Strip along the back of the desk.
- TECKIN Smart LED RGB Bulbs